New lands appear. New alliances are made. Darkness once more threatens the world.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

First Light Jog ((Saphira))

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Erosaf

Cash On Hand : 3216

PostSubject: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 01:15

So much had happened since his days on the racetrack. He had been born to race, anything else and he was bored constantly. The sturdily built, dapple grey horse with the horseshoe branded on his hindquarters galloped through the trees. He had not found a place to settle in these lands, but he thought the Misty Mountains sounded quite lovely. He jumped over a log much like he would have a hurdle landing easily.

Maybe if he found that pretty quarter horse mare with that beautiful brown coat and pale mane and tail, he might just settle down. Not a day went by that he did not think of her. Russian Roulette. Though she had never managed well on the race track like he had, he had always been nice to her. Sometimes even explained a few things to her when he could.

The other quarter horses had laughed at him whenever he talked to her, but who was he to care? He had always been the first across the finish line and he knew what he was doing these days. Then of course the men had chosen to sell him to that ranch.

He almost fell over a tree, managing to jump over just in time. The long legs carried him further in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nuban-aworldofchaos.proboards.com
Saphira

Cash On Hand : 796

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 01:32

It was strange, here, in the wild on her own. Russian Roulette trotted smoothly through the trees, her lean muscles bunching and relaxing beneath her satin smooth pelt. The deep brown colour gleamed brightly under the warm sunlight, showing the care and conditioning her owners had taken in order to keep her looking her very best for races.

Care?

Roulette snorted a trifle bitterly, blinking hard and flattening her ears to her skull. No one had shown her an ounce of care, not after she had been old enough to be sent to races.

Unlike most of the others she had met, Roulette barely had any aptitude for racing, finishing consistently last in the bigger events her master had sent her to. Last. It was utterly embarrassing - especially for someone of her lineage. Both her dam and sire were one of the top few racers in her time. Her brother and sister, too, had put in consistent performances.

Not her, though.

Roulette's thoughts slowly wandered to the sturdily-built grey stallion she had met on the tracks one fine day. Extreme Deal. He was the only one who had even deigned to talk to her, despite knowing her less than steller performances in the many races she had competed in.

In contrast, he was one of the top few.

From respect, friendship grew. And from the depths of friendship, there was a bud of something deeper.

She hid it well, but it never went away.

Was it too much to hope that she would meet him here? In the wild? She had not seen him for many, many months, and she missed his presence dreadfully.

The sound of rapid hoofbeats caught her attention, and Roulette's ears pricked up, her bright blue eyes locking on to the oh-so-familiar shape that had just jumped smoothly over a fallen tree. The sunlight danced upon his pelt - his grey pelt...

Her breath caught. Could he be?

It was!

Without conscious thought, Roulette's hooves brought her nearer hesitantly, as she tilted her head and slowing down. Nickering shyly, she moved even nearer, letting her long forelock droop over her eyes as she approached him.

Her heart was beating fast. Would he recognise her? Would he remember her? Would he even want to talk to her? Perhaps, all those times, he was just being kind... Pitying the poor underdog...

"E-extreme Deal?" she asked hesitantly, dancing nervously on the spot as she bowed her head uncertainly, eyes flicking up to him, and then downwards to the ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:35

He spooked as someone spoke his name, and promptly tripped over one of his own legs. He jumped back to his feet immediately. he never tripped over his own feet like a gangly colt, not since he was one. The dark eyes darted straight to the speaker and he could not help but stare. He knew that mare. And she certainly seemed to know who he was too.

He snorted softly. “Roulette?” That was what he had always called her whenever they spoke. It was something that he certainly remembered. How odd this was that he had been thinking of her, and here she suddenly had appeared. “What are you doing out here?”

Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:54

She could feel her heart pounding within her chest.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

It went as fast and as hard as it did during her races. Up close, she could smell his familiar scent, could feel the immense heat radiating off his body after his apparent morning run. It was him! She just knew it!

Even as she watched, Deal raised his head, glancing away from his imagine course - and fell. Roulette sprang forward, pale mane and tail whipping in the breeze created by her own speed, crying out in horror. The images of fallen horses on the racetracks reeled through her mind like a horror film, each ending with that particular horse being put down.

But even as he fell, Roulette could feel his dark, dark eyes fixed steadily upon her person. If she could have, she would have blushed from her hooves to her ear tips. As a result, the mare settled for shuffling her hooves shyly, bobbing her head a little as he approached her.

"Yes," she answered, cursing her breathy voice. "Is it really you? I thought I'd never see you again!"

At his question, her gaze drifted to the ground in mingled embarrassment and fear. Details of that night screened through her mind - of the cramped stable, the dim lighting, the rusted pipes that they brought over their heads-

Roulette flinched, taking a step back, even as she shook her head, pasting a soft smile on her face.

"I-I lost another race. Again," she whispered, shame coating her every word. "T-the Masters. They were a-angry. They brought me to a ranch to r-retrain me and I escaped!"

Shaking away the dark thoughts that threatened to cloud her mind, she blinked at Deal. She hoped he didn't know about the horrible abuse that she had suffered - it was too embarrassing, too shameful. But still, rumours had circulated among the horses after she had come with bruises on her sides at one race. Would he know? Did he know?

"How about you?" she asked after a short pause, smiling at him. Her eyes flickered up and down his muscled body, before she realised that she was staring and glanced away in embarrassment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 03:02

“I heard of the way the humans treated you, Roulette, but I do not think much of it. They think they put all the effort into training good racehorses but in reality who really wins the race? Who does the running? Who wants to win really? We do. They can train us as hard as they like but if we do not wish to run, they unthinkingly waste their time,” he replied.

He sighed thinking for a few moments. “Ever since the race in which my sire, Extreme Occasion broke his leg and had to be destroyed, I have been away from the racetrack. A pity really. I still miss it, but out here, there are plenty of places to gallop and run as much as I like.”
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 03:55

She still could not believe her eyes. He was here! Really here, in flesh and blood and bone. After all this time...

Roulette's ears flicked forward to catch his gentle words, and instantly, she ducked her head, turning her neck slightly away in shame and closing her eyes.

Her eyes, blue as the summer ocean, blue as the afternoon sky, darkened with shame at his words.

"Y-you knew?" she whispered shakily, the blood suddenly roaring in her ears. "You knew a-about the b-beating? Did the rest know? Was that why they were always laughing at me? That I can't even run to save my life?" she choked out, a tear slipping out of the corner of her eye. The crystalline liquid flashed in the sun, trailing over her soft cheek like liquid diamond.

"B-but I wanted to," Roulette whispered shamefully, flattening her ears as she bowed her head. "I wanted - I really wanted to win. Just once. To show everyone that I wasn't completely useless! But I still wasn't good enough," she murmured, self-loathing coating her words.

The fae heaved a sigh, clenching her teeth as she pushed away those dark thoughts, or tried to, at least, before something caught her attention.

"Wait- You knew? You knew and you still wanted to talk to me?"

Her heart fluttered like a caged bird inside her chest. Her eyes lifted and locked onto his dark ones, brimming with gratitude and a tangle of other emotions that she hadn't the chance to decipher yet.

So lost in thought was she, that Roulette realised Deal was speaking only when she saw his mouth moving. Jerking her head up and starting to listen, her eyes filled with sympathy.

"Oh, Deal! I'm so sorry about your sire!"

Roulette shook her head.

"I hadn't even heard! No wonder you stopped coming to races!"

She smiled at him, tipping her head to the side.

"You really miss it, don't you?" she murmured, seeing the glitter of longing in his eyes. Inhaling deeply for courage, Roulette offered a tentative smile, stepping closer.

"I could race you now! It'd just be like old times."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 04:14

"They did not want to risk losing me to the same thing," he replied. He sighed. "They took me to a ranch to work as another horse there. I escaped."

He laughed. "I knew yes. That's why I bothered to talk to you. I tried to help you remember?"

"Well I could do that with but you know I would win right? But maybe..." Maybe he could let her win for once
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 06:03

Roulette nodded in sympathy, and then her blue eyes flashed in outrage.

"Work?" she asked indignantly, tossing her head up. "Work in a ranch? You? You're a racehorse! You should-" she quickly bit her tongue to stop the ceaseless flow of words.

"Sorry," she muttered, shaking her head self-deprecatingly. "No offense intended. It's just... You're too good for that," she murmured, heat flooding her body as she glanced away for a moment.

What Roulette [didn't] say was - You're too good for just work in a lowly ranch. You were one of the better ones. You should have continued racing till you were at the top, and then you could have retired well.

Roulette fixed bright blue eyes on him, and laughed slightly. "I-I didn't think it was because of that. I thought you just felt sorry for me coming in dead last all the time," she chuckled a little awkwardly.

At his next words, the young fae rolled her eyes, tossing her head with more spirit she had exhibited in days.

"So sure of yourself?" she scoffed jokingly. "You've been stuck in a ranch when they've been training and conditioning me!"

She held her loft expression for a while, before relenting with a giggle. "Nah, you're right. You'd beat me flat," she smiled, something sad glinting in her eyes as she took the ready position beside him, completely missing the the two words and his trail of thought.

"Ready?" she asked, flipping her pale mane out of her eyes. "Till that oak and back?"

After another moment to let them prepare, she called out the signal and took off in a rush of speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 11:16

He laughed. "Maybe there was that as well," he replied. "They apparently did not want to see me hurt like my sire." He shorted though when she sudden;y raced off. A few seconds after her he shot off, but his stride was slower, by a little bit, but he wanted it that way. ure he could have passed her if he so wanted, but he knew there was no point in that.

He turned at the oak after her, before suddenly shooting ahead a little, but he did slow down a little as he got closer to the starting place. He would not cross there before she did this time, he would make sure of it.
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:18

The wind whipped through her mane - grown longer than it had ever been, since there was no one to cut it. The cool, whispering fingers raked through her flaxen mane, as she tossed her head back in exhilaration, feeling the burn in her muscles as she struggled, as always, to stretch out more, to give everything she had.

Her breaths came in heavy pants, and the rumble of hoofbeats was just beside her. Out of the corner of her eye, Roulette could see Deal racing along, just a little behind her and her heart jumped in surprise and amazement.

Snorting, she pushed herself even harder, muscles burning, burning, burning as she forced everything out of her mind except the race itself. The finish line - three strides, two, one..

She crossed it in an explosion of energy, wheeling around agilely and slowing first to a canter, than a trot, and finally, a walk. Her brown flanks glistened with sweat, and her heartbeat raced in her ears.

And then finally, as her other senses returned, she whipped around and stared, wide-eyed at Deal. Had she-Did she-

"Did I win?" she whispered reverently, eyes huge in her small face, glittering with some unnameable emotion.

But it wasn't possible! Her eyes narrowed.

"You threw the race, didn't you?" she accused, flattening her ears, indignation and embarrassment tearing at her at equal measures. "I don't need your pity!"

She turned away sharply, closing her eyes to hide the burning that had started. She exhaled shakily, before giving Deal a weak smile.

"But thank you," she murmured. "I think that's the nicest thing that anyone's done for me before."

After a slightly hesitation, Roulette stepped forward, touching her soft muzzle to the stallion's sweating cheek gently, before skipping away shyly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Thu Feb 07 2013, 21:57

The stallion laughed. "You deserved it, you know," he replied. "You have improved, even I can see that, Roulette." He grinned at her, coming to stop beside her. "Besides, like you said, they have been training you while I've been in a field at a ranch for weeks. The only galloping I have done has been while I've been moving about out here."

He was pleased that he had not been able to win. "I am out of practice as it is. Does it really matter if I threw the race?"
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 00:06

Roulette bowed her head shyly, scuffling her hooves upon the grass.

"Thanks," she murmured shyly, gazing at Deal with a light bursting forth, shining in her eyes.

"No," she admitted, after a pause. "It doesn't matter, I suppose. It just... makes me feel as though I'm not even good enough to raise properly against!"

Roulette shook her head, flicking her tail irritably, as though trying to flick away the dark thoughts that had brought shadows into those blue orbs.

"But it dosen't matter," she sighed, repeating her words. "It was really - really nice of you to do that for me," she reiterated sincerely, looking up at Deal with clear blue eyes.

She glanced around the land, breathing in the fresh, clean smell of the wild.

"How long have you been out here?" she queried. "I just arrived. I haven't really managed to figure out the politics and who's who in the land," she confided anxiously, eyes sweeping about. "And there are wolves! Have you seen them? Are they friendly?"

(OOC: I'd written an awesome post... and then I lost it -.-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 20:12

He chuckled. "Several months I have been wandering around out here. I have kept to myself, but I have seen many things here. A young colt called Alston is the overall leader, and it seems many hold him in high regard. Not to mention I have seen the wolves yes. Some of them are massive,but some of them seem to live in perfect harmony with our kind!"

He smiled. "I have been checking out the lands, finding the ones I like and the ones I will not go near too."
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 22:30

Roulette drank in everything that the other stallion had to say, watching him with eager, admiring eyes.

"That's strange," she remarked, upon hearing his comment about the wolves. "Harmony? Those that I've met back then were always feral - and they only wanted to kill." A shiver ripped through her, at the thought of those bloodthirsty yellow eyes pacing up and down the fences.

"But if they're friendly here..." she trailed off doubtfully.

Roulette flicked her tail, the sun catching on those whimsical flaxen strands.

"It's so different here, isn't it?" she asked Deal, a quiet awe in her eyes. "More peaceful. And everything seems... sharper. Fresher."

The fae turned her head, interest sparking in her eyes at the thought of lands.

"Which ones did you like? How many lands are there? I haven't managed to explore much," she admitted a little bashfully. "A kind horse pointed me towards here when he caught me wandering aimlessly about."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 22:44

Extreme Deal smiled as she asked the questions she had. “There are five coastal lands, five desert lands, only two of which I would go near but I do not think I could live there, five different forests, they all seem rather cool and nice, but all the trees are so constricting its hard to run amongst them. There are four mountain lands. There are four valley lands, one of which really stood out to me, and four supposedly secret valleys, most are nice save for one. Ice lands to, two of them. Bit cold for us I would think. And then a gully, which I did not even dare to enter.”

He looked around himself, as though he could sense something he did not like. Then he frowned. There was someone else watching, and he much taller than both of them. It was a tall chestnut stallion, with an arrow like marking on his head, a black nose. But it was the colour of the mane and tail that surprised him. A deep mossy green? Blood red and pale green spirals on his rump too?

Schnelldrache, or Snap Dragon, smirked as he spotted the two smaller horses. This was going to be fun. “Well well well what do we have here?”
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 22:59

Roulette tilted her head thoughtfully, narrowing her blue eyes.

"So many lands!" she exclaimed in surprise, eyes sparkling at the thought of so much space, trying to imagine the sheer magnitude of the land. But then her attention was caught on that one word that he had uttered.

"U-us?" she stammered, hardly daring to believe her ears. Her heart soared, as though it had grown wings, as cliched as she felt as though she were floating.

Suddenly, Deal seemed uneasy. Roulette's head flew up, as she watched the other stallion with a puzzled frown. Her senses were not yet as keen as her counterpart's, and she could not see anything different.

"What's wrong?" she asked worriedly.

The wind picked up, and sent her flaxen mane flying wildly. She danced nimbly to the side, so that she could see that Deal was staring at. And then she stared.

It was the oddest horse she'd ever seen! Roulette, naive as she was, uninhibitedly stepped forward, eyes wide in admiration.

"Wow," she breathed, as she drew nearer. "Are the markings real? And your mane colour?"

And then, as though she just realised what she was doing, the mare ducked her head in embarrassment, stepping back a little.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I don't mean to be rude."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:14

If she thought his mane and tail were not real, then she was an idiot of a mare. All for the better, she would be easier to break then he initially thought. Schnelldrache laughed, it was a mocking sound. “Perhaps you should just, oh I don’t know, shut up.” He did not sound like he was laughing it off, his tone was dead, flat, unreadable. He looked at Deal. “Hand her over. She’s mine.”

Extreme Deal snorted. “You think because of your greater height and possibly strength, and the fact you’re wild born that you intimidate me?” He stepped directly infront of Roulette. “I’m sorry but I was here first.”
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:46

Roulette flinched at his mocking, jeering words, at the harshness in his voice, so similar to those her Masters had used when they were angry and about to teach her a lesson. Her ears flattened, and her bright eyes darkened with terror. She scuttled backward, heaving a sigh of relief when Deal stepped between them.

She felt much comfort at his sturdy, solid form standing between them.

"Deal - don't fight him," she whispered in a tiny voice, frightened. "You could get hurt! W-we could try to run?"

When she'd escaped, she hadn't thought about the darker aspect, or about how vulnerable she was, out in the wild. No battle skills, no knowledge about how to thrive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Fri Feb 08 2013, 23:51

"Shut up!" Schnelldrache shouted at Roulette. He glared at both of them. "You know, you would be only too easy to get rid of, stallion. You're an outsider. You don't belong here. And she will come with me." He strode forwards.

Deal snorted, taking a step back. "We can try," he replied. But he knew they would move slower, she was not exactly fast. "Come on." He turned and started off.

Schnelldrache laughed. This was going to be fun. He knew this land, they did not!
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Sat Feb 09 2013, 00:07

Roulette flinched back, cringing and drooping her head in submission, flattening her ears to her skull. Her heart was pounding in her chest. Cold tendrils of fear licked up her spine, making her feel cold, chilled to the bone.

"N-no!" she shouted defiantly, backing away rapidly from the menacing stallion striding towards her. "Leave me alone! I-I'm just another human-raised mare, aren't I? Nothing special. Why do you want me?"

She gracefully turned with Deal, stretching her legs and sprinting off, muscles burning, lungs heaving. Run, run, run. She tried to keep pace with Deal, she really did, but as mentioned earlier, her forte was not running.

She slipped slightly behind, blue eyes wild with terror as she glanced back at the approaching stallion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Sat Feb 09 2013, 00:11

The chestnut stallion seemed to vanish from sight as he let them run away. He was only toying with them though. He knew the land, and he knew where to wait for them. He darted away to a point ahead of them, hidden in a rocky passageway where there was a side passage. The grey horse shot passed him and out the otherside, and as soon as Deal was out of the way, he stepped out of his hiding place, completely blocking the only way through.

Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Sat Feb 09 2013, 00:16

Roulette couldn't see him. Where was he?

The mare pushed down the rising hysteria, pumping her legs even faster, her breaths rasping harshly. Her legs burned like they were on fire, but the mare pushed on.

She looked back for an instant, and when she looked ahead again - Deal was gone, and the huge stallion stood in his place. Roulette cried out in horror, locking her muscles and trying to slow down. But such was the speed at which she was travelling at that she could not stop in time.

The small mare crashed right into the muscled body of the stallion, before bouncing off him and tumbling to the ground, rather stunned.She blinked hard, shaking her head before standing up shakily, backing away.

"What do you want from me?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Sat Feb 09 2013, 00:29

“Other than your company in my home? Nothing more,” he replied, grinning as he advanced towards her. “Don’t bother trying to run, you can’t escape me, dearie.” And there was no chance she was not going to have that colt find her again either. “This time, you will come with me.”

If she tried to run, well she would only make things more unfortunate for herself really. The place he lived was not a place for those filled with light and all that stuff. Danger Gully ripped that out of horses, and it was there that he lived these days.
Back to top Go down
Saphira

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Sat Feb 09 2013, 00:45

"Then you don't need me!" she cried desperately, eyes flicking this way and that. "Go-go pick someone else! I'm sure there are loads of others!"

Roulette skipped backward a little more, her limbs protesting harshly at the movement as she flattened her ears in terror, watching him come close and closer and closer.

Deal, where are you? she cried out desperately in her mind. Would Deal come for her? He would, he had to! They were friends - she'd do the same for him.

There was no way out, she knew, closing her eyes in defeat. And she didn't exactly plan to prolong her pain just to achieve the same results.

"Fine," she said, her voice gone flat. "I'll come quietly. But Deal'll find you," she stated, eyes glowing with cold fire. "He'll come for me! You wait and see!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erosaf

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   Sat Feb 09 2013, 00:49

“Good girl. And I’m counting on him to,” Schnelldrache laughed. When the fool did, he’d kill him! There would be no second chances for that colt, that much he did know. He walked beside her, taking her towards the gully. Had he not heard that colt say he would never go there? Well, she was as good as his now. “I think you’ll find he’ll need more courage than he likely has to come where we will be.”

He doubted he would come, and if he did, he would be crushed by the mere evil that rested in that gully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Light Jog ((Saphira))   

Back to top Go down

First Light Jog ((Saphira))
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next